[Summary in Progress]
Critical Care Literature
(281) Khanduja K, Scales DC, Adhikari NKJ. Pay for performance in the intensive care unit—Opportunity or threat? Critical Care Medicine. 2009: 37(3) 852-858.
- No study to date has examined incentives for intensivists. However, the ICU is a likely target for future quality measures.
- Group-directed P4P incentives are most likely to be effective.
- Authors suggest numerous potential quality measures for ICU care.
- Points out that death may not be a bad outcome for all ICU patients.
Significance to Literature:
ICU P4P programs may soon be considered, professional societies should be involved in the measure development.